- Before the Environmental Protection Agency started regulating pollution in the nation’s air, water, and land, things were dire. These photos show how bad it was.
- We’ve made significant progress since then, but there’s still a lot of work to do to keep our environment and those who live in it healthy.
- The Trump administration’s EPA aims to roll back a number of environmental protections, though Scott Pruitt resigned on July 5 amid ethics scandals.
- The new acting administrator of the EPA, Andrew Wheeler, is likely to continue with a similar agenda.
- Now that Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy has announced his retirement, many experts think a number of environmental regulations could get overturned.
As the story goes, the chemical-filled Cuyahoga River in Cleveland burst into flames on June 22, 1969, possibly ignited by a spark from a passing train.